About Our Family
We’re Caitlin & Ryan. Our boys were 4 and 1.5 years old when we bought Bex, our family RV. And two weeks later I had the next 3 years of part time family road trips mapped out. Not really. (But kinda.)
How It Happened
This was probably a bit of a shock to our friends and family, because we did not set out to become family RVers. In fact, we didn’t have plans to travel much at all while our kids were little. But we had always dreamed of working from home.
The tipping point was a road trip from Virginia to a 4 week Airbnb rental in Florida. The entire family loved the sunshine and the escape from winter and started dreaming how we could make this happen more often.
But road trips with two young kids didn’t sound like fun. Unless… we did it in a family RV. We’d have our home with us. Our own comfy beds. The boys’ favorite toys. No need to unpack and repack our groceries or clothes at each new rental.
So What Now?
We’ve caught the travel bug and we’re making it work, diapers and all! We have a wonderful house in the suburbs close to our families, and we’re going to see this big, beautiful country a couple weeks (or months!) at a time.
Our Travel Goals
- See 49 states via RV. Yes, we want to take Bex to Alaska.
- Eat at least one famous food from each state we visit.
- Find a part time travel rhythm that works for our family RV travels.
- Take our homeschool on the road trips and incorporate the history and science all around us.
- Spend 6 months in the UK at some point. (Obviously not in Bex.)
About Our RV
Bex is a Forest River Ibex 19mbh.
We’ve upgraded her batteries and solar.
She’s full of storage, ready to off-road, and the perfect size for towing with our
Tacoma. We’ve since upgraded to our 2021 AEV Prospector XL… expect to see updated truck and travel trailer pics soon!
Family Road Trip Goals
We can’t wait to:
- Tube down a natural lazy river in Florida
- Stay at a lavender farm
- Ride e-bikes on Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park
- See the 2024 solar eclipse
- Paddleboard to a glacier in Alaska
- Visit a cheesy Christmas themed town
- See a dinosaur dig site
- Go on a whale watching tour
- Visit the Mighty 5, Utah’s gorgeous national parks
- Attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta
- Photograph the Milky Way